Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Shirt Design

I am an officer in the Mechanical Engineering student club, and my job is to do the orientation for new mechanical engineering graduate students when they arrive in the fall (about 160 of them, I think). World's Best School has a very extensive and involved Orientation period, and it's a big deal with lots of events. It's a good job for me, because I've been hosting events as an RA for a couple years now.

The student club that I am in designed and sold club T-shirts back in 2006, but that was before I was here. I thought it would be a great idea to do T-shirts again this year.

I sent out a department e-mail to the students, offering a $50 prize for T-shirt design submissions. We got submissions from only three people, although one person submitted five options.

I didn't really like any of the designs. So I decided to come up with some of my own. But then the judging is biased, so I decided to call in more opinions. I showed my handful of designs (anonymized of course), plus all the submissions, to a bunch of friends and the club president.

One of my designs was the unanimous favorite! But I'm wondering what the internet at large thinks, as my friends are a small and perhaps skewed data set.

Artwork done in Adobe Illustrator, so it's infinitely adjustable and scalable.

This is the back of the shirt, the front has a pocket design with World's Best School MechE logo on it. Just imagine the front is awesome. Planning to make navy blue ones to sell, and green ones for club officers. Because we can. :)


What do you think? Comments, suggestions? Would you wear this shirt? Is it kinda funny, or just doesn't make sense?

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm..I like the graphic but I would hesitate to buy a shirt with a product-y slogan.

    -Rainee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Some the foreign grad students may not be familiar with Absolut.

    -Rainee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the graphic. The slogan seems more undergrad-y? But if we're talking normal masters students not PhD-track students it's probably fine. Then again, wearing something that "promotes" alcohol might be a tough sell. But I definitely like the look and think you are on to something there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, Some the foreign grad students may not be familiar with Absolut.

    What? No Russian students?

    ReplyDelete