Wednesday, June 16, 2010

DC 5k Walk

Two weekends ago I had the pleasure of taking a day trip to Washington, D.C. with my cousin. I'd never been there before, so I was excited that the opportunity came up. I was planning to do sightseeing, but as it turns out...

The weekend we were there was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. What you see here is the "before the race" shot. The reason we are dressed differently is because...

My cousin is actually able to travel significant distances by foot. Quickly. Unlike me. So she signed up for the 5k run. I, on the other hand...

Signed up for the 5k walk. More my speed.

As it turns out, a lot of other people had the same idea - there were thousands of walkers.
It took a while just to get past the start line, actually. The first fifteen minutes (at least) were more like a shuffle. I nearly should have packed a lunch - if the pack hadn't finally spread out, it would have taken forever to make it 5k.

But the nice thing about walking, and not worrying about speed, is that I got to stop and take pictures. (See, got my sightseeing in there after all!).

And I did eventually make it to the finish line. I'm not telling you my time because it's not a real measure (all that shuffling at the start). Also it's embarrassingly long. But that's not the point, right?

Somehow though in the "after the race" shot I am just as bedraggled as the girl who ran 5k in 28 minutes. Go cousin!

We also visited the International Spy museum, and the Air and Space museum (where the above was taken). Hat tip to my mother for letting me steal her sunglasses (I lost mine, which is typical. Also why I never pay more than $8 for sunglasses. Or watches. Or earrings. Perhaps I should just learn to hang on to things... I seem to have a long list of "consumables.")

I wish I had more time in the city, as there were all sorts of other places I wanted to see.

I guess that just means I'll have to go back. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment