Sunday, May 24, 2009

Odd Hours

Classes ended for me over a week ago, I've stopped going to gym classes because of my foot, and activities at the dorm have shut down in the lull between the end of the semester and the start of summer schedules. I've been let out of doing any heavy research due to quals.

In short, I have very few things scheduled in my planner. All I'm doing is studying.

This is a marked contrast to my life in general - usually, I have a Moleskine full of meetings and classes and appointments with people.

Unfortunately, when left to my own devices I stay up later and later at night. I do my best work at night - it's quiet, I'm focused, and there are fewer distractions. And then of course since I have stayed up late, I tend to sleep in the next morning. If I have nothing in my planner, there's no reason I can't stay in bed to get my full hours of sleep.

But now that it's been a week, this has the odd side effect that I am now completely backwards on my sleep schedule.

Yes, folks, last night (day?) I went to bed at 4pm, got up at 9pm, and worked all night until the sun rose at 7am. Went back to bed, got up at 1pm, and here I am at 3am wide awake. I'm not even sure I'm on 24 hr days anymore - I just sleep when I get tired. Napping? Bed? Who knows!

Gack! Not that it matters, really, the beautiful thing about being a grad student is that nobody cares how you run your life. But I feel like being completely backwards is probably not the right way to go.

But let the record show this is the only way I ever see the sunrise. It's gorgeous. I had forgotten that.

Maybe I should adopt the programmer's sleep schedule:

No comments:

Post a Comment